Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Crocheting to Entrepreneurship

I have never worked like this before. I'm 36 years old and in January I had an idea for a business that has transformed my outlook, my energy and inspired me to build an organization.

Two years ago I got fired. I should have been. I decided (with out much buy-in from my husband), that I would stay home with my children. And it was great, and still is, and my marriage - luckily - survived that time. But oh my, how one person could watch so much T.V. Basically, I exercised and watched T.V., and did mom stuff. For a long time that was fine with me. Sure, I had received a top-notch education. Sure, I was letting all the securities licenses that I had earned expire. I honestly didn't care. I thought I never wanted to work again. I'd be a great wife and let my husband "take care of us" ?!?!?!

Last year at Christmas, my family was here - and I needed to escape (love you Mom, but we all need a little break once in a while :-) hmmm... can I use the end of my smiley face to close my parenthesis? Anyway - I found a book on teaching yourself to crochet in a pile of books and hid out in my daughter's room. For three hours I worked on that book. The next week, the next month, I was OBSESSED with crocheting. I wouln't be able to figure out a stitch and in my dreamy place between awake and asleep the answer would come to me.

Looking back - I think the neurons in my brain were firing - for the first time in two years. I loved working with my hands. I didn't need to create anything - I just got lost in the activity of it. And I started to think. And dream. And I turned the T.V. off. And I could be a passive observer of my children without that restless feeling that I needed to go do something. And that is how learning to crochet - in it's own wonderful way - turned me back into a thinker, and allowed me imagine something so great, so big, that I had to start right away. I didn't know how I was going to do it, and am quite sure that the "how" I'm doing today will be different from the "how" of tomorrow but I am going to do this.

1 comment:

  1. You sure are doing it girl! Lots of love and luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete